December 20, 2015



Simple Porridge with Yong Ma Rice Cooker




Being kind of lazy on that particular day, it was the first time I tried to utilize the porridge menu on my Yong Ma Rice Cooker. I looked for the user manual, but it turned out that I had lost it somehow. Just great! So, I began to Google here and there ... But I don't know why, it was really hard to find an article that told you about a way to make porridge with your rice cooker. That's why I decided to try by myself and share the experience here. May be someone out there wants to try it, too?

Since I was on really lazy mode, please take not that a lot of the ingredients were instant or ready to use items. Using original broth and other fresh ingredients, like I usually do and have done by now, will add the flavor of this porridge. But, for this time let's get more practical and use lazy mode.


Rice porridge ingredients:
  • rice 600 gr
  • 2 cloves of garlic, smash, cut rough
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 4 lime leaves
  • 1 stalk lemongrass
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon salt or according to taste
  • 1 teaspoon seasoning flavor
  • chicken / beef bone 100 g to add more flavor

Broth ingredients:
  • Instant broth

Additional 
  • Crackers
  • Sliced scallions
  • Fried chicken
  • Sweet soy sauce
  • Salty soy sauce
  • Fried onions
  • Chili sauce / Sambal
  • Cakwe (a type of fried / frittered cake)




How to Make :


Rice Porridge
  1. Wash 600 gr rice, then add water. Note: At the time I was experimenting for the first time to make rice porridge with a rice cooker I actually didn't find any reference that mentioned about the right water amount. So, I initially took initiative to double the water measurements. I added water until line number 8 on the rice cooker scale. But when I was trying to peek into the rice cooker after half hour, the water was already almost running out, though the rice porridge almost reached the tenderness that I wanted. Therefore, I added some water again up to the top scale.  
  2. Add all other rice porridge ingredients, and stir evenly before closing the rice cooker.
  3. Turn on power, then press menu button until the arrow next to the porridge menu lights up red. The Yong Ma rice cooker display screen will show figure 2.0, indicating the cooking time.
  4. Press the green start button over the menu button. The dot in figure 2.0 will blink, as a sign that the rice cooker has started to carry out its duty. Wait until the figure turns to 00 on the screen to indicate that the rice porridge is done.

Broth
  1. Pour 1 L of water or according to instructions on instant broth package into pot.
  2. Add instant broth according to instructions or according to taste.
  3. Add bone chicken / beef to add savory, if desired. (Remember: first boil the bones in sufficient water, and then discard water, to get a cleaner broth result.)
  4. Fried onions, garlic, sliced scallions can also be added to give more flavor according to taste.
  5. Cook all until water boils.


          Enjoy
          Simple Porridge with Yong Ma Rice Cooker

          0 food and drink lover(s):